Wednesday 7 January 2009

Lets practise before we preach !


Now , having read , written and analysed so much about who did what for the PR industry . I  began to think what have I or we students done about the image of the PR industry . 

This thought struck my mind , when earlier this morning a old friend of mine called me up . We were having a light conversation and then she commented that you must be having a great time studying Masters in Public Relations. I replied , "Yes , I certainly am." She further added , "Who would not like to learn how to fool the world and bombard them with flowery lies adorned with fake endearments." I was quite disappointed with what she thought of PR. I tried to explain to her , that my course taught me much more serious stuff , but she was plain ignorant. 

After hanging up , I could not help thinking of what she said to me and that statement rung in my head several times. That was the time I should have acted responsibly and begun with doing some good PR for the industry I hope to work for in the years to come. So , my lovely people ! Please think about this and whenever you have someone say to you that you work for the dishonest industry of PR. Put your Public Relations skills together and remember all that Pam taught you. Lets start our Journey PR by alleviating the credibility of our industry so that next time PR watch does not need to contend that "Public Relations involves a "multi-billion dollar propaganda-for-hire industry" that "concoct[s] and spin[s] the news, organize[s] phoney 'grassroots' front groups, sp[ies] on citizens, and conspire[s] with lobbyists and politicians to thwart democracy." 

No comments: